Saturday, June 23, 2012

Me & You

Emily and I have been best friends since my freshman year of college four years ago. We shared an apartment, have the same major, are in the studio, lead Navs together, and dated guys from the same small town (we didn't know about that one when we started dating them). For a while people would get us confused from behind because we both had long wavy hair. For most of college Emily has been the sister I have never had.

 pre-wedding wine tasting

The past few months has been interesting for our relationship. Emily got engaged to a wonderful guy in April of 2011 and then we moved to New York for a few months in the midst of wedding planning. We struggled to maintain personal space in NYC while sharing a bed and a tiny apartment with two other girls. We both missed our guys and felt the demands of a New York office job. When we returned for school I was supposed to work on the bridal shower and bachelorette party but between school and Navs, I couldn't find the time to even breathe. Emily had so much to do for the wedding and her summer co-op, while I was focused on making the right decision for my summer and keeping in touch with my long-distance man. It was hard to just be like ships passing in the night. The joking question from most of our friends was "How are you going to deal with the great divorce?" Meaning when we would no longer live together. I never really knew how to answer that question...

from Emily's Perrysburg bridal shower

In the weeks and days leading up to Emily's big day there was more chaos and non-stop running. However, all the time and energy that Emily, her family, and close friends poured into her wedding extravaganza really paid off—everything went smoothly and was beautiful. I was honored to be a bridesmaid and get to know Emily and Aaron's families.

 reception at St. Elizabeth's

After things at the reception died down and Emily and Aaron drove off to the happy glow of sparklers, I realized I missed something important. Yes, my best friend was forever going to be married and have a different life. But the thing I missed was telling her how much she has changed my life in the past few years. I came to college knowing two people at UC. I was quiet and insecure, and I didn't know how to relate to girls since I grew up in a house full of boys. But one girl picked me to be her friend and showed me how wonderful it was to be silly and girly and completely unashamed. Emily, you are one of the most confident, inspiring people I know. And I have such a hard time putting into words what our friendship means to me. But thank you for choosing me as a friend four years ago. I pray that we will always be in each other's lives. Joy and blessings for you and your new husband, Aaron.

Love Kendra

No comments:

Post a Comment